A little break from my usual blog posts to raise awareness and talk about a very important day and event happening tomorrow in Australia.
Tomorrow is SIDS and Kids Red Nose Day, the major fundraiser for SIDS and Kids held annually. SIDS and Kids is dedicated to saving the lives of babies and children during pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood and also work to support bereaved families.
I feel that SIDS and Kids is one of those charities that are incredibly important. Their areas of focus include education, research, national awareness campaigning, advocacy, fundraising and bereavement support. While I personally have had no experience with SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) I know of so many heartbreaking stories of people who have.
As a child, I had a giant bear (I mean, over 1.5 metres tall and wide) called Theodore who every year got a Red Nose Badge for his vest, so I've always known about Red Nose Day and as I got older I understood what it meant.
I don't have a child yet, but I know that I will in the future - and research through organisations like SIDS and Kids save millions of lives. The funds raised through Red Nose Day go towards providing vital services and programs in the community such as;
- Free ongoing bereavement support to families and the community following the sudden and unexpected death of a baby, infant or child
- Education on how to reduce the risk of SIDS and fatal sleeping accidents to thousands of parents, carers and health professionals
- Research into the causes and prevention of sudden and unexpected death of babies during pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood.
SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping
SIDS and Kids' safe sleeping program is evidence-based and recommends you;
- Sleep baby on the back from birth, not the tummy or side
- Sleep baby with head and face uncovered
- Keep baby smoke free before birth and after
- Provide a safe sleeping environment night and day
- Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping place in the same room as an adult care giver for the first six to twelve months
- Breastfeed baby if you can
How can I support Red Nose Day?
- Order Red Nose Day products online
- Buy a Red Nose or Red Nose Merchandise from your local shopping centre or someone in your community
Tomorrow I'll be back with Friday Favourites and expect some delicious recipes and goodies this weekend!