You know how people say "ohhhhhh, haven't you been in the wars?" when they know you've been having a bit of a rough time?
I guess you could apply that statement to our entire family at the moment. We've been in the wars, to sum things up. You see, after my iron infusion I was struck down with a horribly painful kidney infection - at the same time my sister was in a bed in the ER with her face swollen up like a balloon.
One sister had a kidney infection whilst the other was battling a staph infection. We don't do things by halves in our family, I'll tell you that!
Luckily, I seemed to get the better end of the deal and avoided the hospital - but poor Katrina was in hospital for just over a week, getting home on Saturday morning.
Hospitals are never a fun place to be at - but the food is perhaps even worse than the ambience. Once I could walk around again, I knew I had to make my sister something to cheer her up whilst she was in hospital and I came up with the perfect plan.
I was going to make her all time favourite Snickers Cookies - but I was also going to reinvent them a little from my old gluten filled creation so that I could eat some too. I mean... my kidneys needed them, friends ;)
So I got to work on creating a deeeeeeeelicious batch of cookies that were quickly gobbled up by the whole family and eyed off by nurses who happened to pass by Katrina's room - and the cookies taught me one very important lesson...
Cookies always help.
And with that lesson, I knew I couldn't keep the recipe all to myself!
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Lightened Up Gluten Free Snickers Cookies Recipe
makes 12-14 large cookies that are lower fat, lower sugar, gluten free, refined sugar free option, flourless, grain free and absolutely delish!
adapted from our Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe for a thicker, peanut butterier cookie!
1/4 cup (50g) butter, cut into cubes
2 1/2 tbsp (50g) peanut butter (smooth or crunchy both work)
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (75g) coconut sugar or brown sugar/unrefined cane sugar*
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (120g) peanut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 snickers bar, chopped **see notes for alternatives
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F.
- Line 2-3 cooking sheets with baking paper and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream your butter, peanut butter and sugar, until fluffy.
- Add in your egg and vanilla, scraping down the sides to incorporate everything together.
- Add in your sifted peanut flour and your baking soda, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in your chopped snickers bar (or other mix ins) and mix until incorporated
- Flatten out your cookie dough balls onto your tray, leaving about 2cm/0.5 inch room between each cookie. You'll want to flatten these cookies quite a bit as they don't spread during baking (only puff up!)
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until your edges just start to turn golden and crisp up. If you like a crispy cookie, bake them for a bit longer or if you're a fan of soft cookies take them out at the 5 minute mark!
- Leave to cool on your baking tray before moving to a wire rack or serving dish.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.
- These cookies will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature.
*If you like your cookies extra sweet, use 1/2 cup of sugar instead. Keep in mind the snickers or mix ins will add sweetness too!
**Snickers bars are gluten free as they contain wheat glucose syrup (which is so highly processed it no longer contains any gluten), however, they're not suitable for those with wheat allergies/intolerances (like me!). If you can't have or don't want to use snickers, feel free to use chocolate chips or your favourite chocolate bar instead!
But tell me, how do you get through a "war period"?
Is there something that will always cheer you up, regardless of what's going on?
Food doesn't work for me, however, puppies, Jesse and my family do! As long as I have the ones I love around me, I'm good to go!
And, what's your favourite chocolate bar?