These days allergies are so common. Too common. It seems like everyone knows at least a handful of people with allergies. I know how it feels to be left out because of those allergies, that's why I love coming up with creative ways to entertain that include everyone - regardless of allergies!
This summer, Target Australia asked me if I'd show them how we do summer entertaining - and what's better than an ice cream party?! We just do things a little differently here in the SIL house to make sure everyone can be included!
Our little ice cream party was pretty much an allergy sufferers dream, it was;
- All Natural
- Gluten Free
- Sugar Free
- Nut Free
- Egg Free
- Dairy Free
And perfect for a wide variety of diets. But how did we do it?
Our secret weapon was the Yonanas Machine (available at Target) but if you can't get your hands on one, you can also use a high powered food processor or blender.
We went for three simple flavours. You do get the best results for fruit soft serves when you add a banana (as it adds a creamy texture) but we had some banana haters joining us so we wanted to make sure they had options.
All you have to do is pop your fruit into your yonana machine or food processor and whizz away. Before you know it, you'll have a deeelicious icy treat.
SIL Tip: Make sure you slightly defrost your fruits before blending/putting through the yonanas machine or they may come out really icy.
- White and Milk Chocolate Chips
- Granola (Freedom Foods Crunchola Granola
is gluten freeif you can tolerate oats - read more here NOTE: this is no longer gluten free)
- Chocolate Rice Puffs
- Shredded Coconut
And of course the sauces,
Then, it was time to get creative! Our Sundae Bowls of choice were these super cute footed bowls from Target (currently on sale for $10.50 for a set of four) and we filled them up with our sundaes.
The combinations differed from person to person - and there's no guessing who added melted PB to the list of toppings (obviously not nut free, but girl needs her PB!).
We had everything from Banana with Chocolate and Caramel Swirls to Blueberry with The Lot and Watermelon and Coconut.
One of my favourites? Banana with Chocolate Rice Puffs, Coconut, Chocolate Fudge Sauce and Peanut Butter. Monkey Madness ;)
Our Tips for Hosting Your Own Healthy Sundae Party:
- Keep it simple - don't put out too many things, you'll overwhelm yourself and your guests
- Make the "icecreams" in advance - The morning of our sundae party, we whizzed up our "icecreams" and then put them into clean containers. We then sealed the containers in a zip lock bag (this stops them from freezing too hard) and stored them in the fridge until we were ready to devour them!
- Find out what your guests can/can't have - Make sure that everyone's safe by finding out exactly what everyone can or can't have - and be careful of cross contamination!
- Enjoy! - Have fun with it and do it more often. This was the perfect party addition because who doesn't like a DIY Icecream Sundae bar?!
But tell me, what would you put on your dream sundae?
I love chocolate, bananas, peanut butter and coconut so any combination involving any of those items (or all) is perfect for me!