I feel like every "cook" has their "party dish".
You know, the dish you make when you're entertaining or the food you whip up to bring to a friend's house for a barbeque or get together.
One of my Mum's "party dishes" was the inspiration between this pasta recipe which has become one of our all time favourites.
Growing up, whenever we had people over my Mum would always make one of two dips. If it was summer, she'd make her avocado layer dip - but in the winter time? It was always her asparagus bread bowl dip.
Baked in the oven inside a hollowed out cob loaf, the bread was crusty and warm and filled with the most delicious asparagus dip filling.
My Mum doesn't even like vegetables (I'm not kidding... we have a total roll reversal in our house as I'm the vegetable lover who tells her to eat her vegetables) but she doesn't bat an eyelid over the asparagus in her bread bowl dip - and no one will bat an eyelid over the asparagus in this delicious pasta dish either.
Blended until smooth and mixed with cream cheese, it's a creamy, decadent tasting pasta sauce that's totally healthy.
Whether you add grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms or simply stir the sauce through your favourite pasta, it's a winning dish that will fast become a family favourite.
Heck, it's even become one of our "party dishes" when entertaining friends at home. They say you don't make friends with salad - but let me tell you, pasta definitely makes friends.
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Healthy Creamy Asparagus Pasta Recipe
gluten free, low fat, clean eating recipe, nut free, soy free,
sugar free, egg free and so easy to make!
serves two, easily multiplied
2 serves of your favourite pasta, cooked and drained (we use Barilla's GF Range!)
1x 425g tin/jar of asparagus, drained (you can use whole spears or pieces - either works as you're blending it up!)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup (60g) reduced fat cream cheese
2-3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
Garlic salt* and pepper, to taste
Optional: cooked chicken breast pieces, sauteed mushrooms or whatever you fancy
- Drain your can of asparagus and add it to your blender or food processor with 1/4 cup of water, blending until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, add your blended asparagus and cream cheese.
- Heat your sauce mixture over a medium-high heat, stirring until all of your cream cheese is melted. If needed, add a small amount of water to thin out the sauce.
- Add your cooked pasta and parmesan cheese (and chicken/mushrooms/other mix ins, if using) to your sauce mixture, stirring until your pasta is heated through and coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately, topping with extra parmesan if desired.
- This pasta is best made fresh, however, the sauce can be made in advance and reheated later.
*You can use regular salt and pepper, however, we like the flavour garlic salt adds.
But tell me, what's your "party dish"?