Until recently, if I served Jesse dinner without meat, it wouldn't have been received very well.
You see, I married a carnivore. A man who would be happy eating a steak the size of his torso every single day.
But somehow, that guy married a girl who isn't overly fussed by meat - and a girl who knows how to create delicious meat free dishes.
This dish was actually the first vegetarian main dish to ever get Jesse's tick of approval - and it's one we've been making weekly ever since.
Easy to tweak and change depending on what's in season and what you have in your fridge, it's a budget friendly dish that's quick to make and absolutely delicious.
Don't like beets? Don't worry! I've also listed some other ingredient options below that we often opt for as Jesse isn't a huge beet fan either!
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Healthy Warm Roasted Potato Salad Recipe
serves one for a main or two for a side, easily multiplied
low fat, gluten free, vegetarian, clean eating recipe, grain free, nut free, sugar free
Note: These are rough measurements as we tend to put in however much we feel like or have available. There's no hard or fast rules with this recipe so feel free to play around with amounts.
2 cups diced and peeled potato
1/2 tsp rice bran oil or neutral tasting oil
Garlic salt or salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup green beans, halved and lightly steamed
1 large or 2-3 small cooked beets (we use LoveBeets)
1/2 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup Baby spinach leaves or mixed lettuce
~1 tbsp balsamic vinegar dressing or 1/2 tbsp sweet balsamic reduction*
Optional: 1-2 tbsp fresh basil and parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Toss your potato with your oil and seasonings and pour onto your prepared tray.
- Roast your potatoes until cooked through and golden. In the last five minutes of cooking, add your beets and cannellini beans to the tray to heat through.
- Whilst your potatoes are roasting, halve and lightly steam your green beans and slice your beets into small chunks.
- Once your potatoes are cooked and your beans and beets are warmed through, toss all of your ingredients together until combined and serve immediately.
- *I use this sweet balsamic reduction for myself whilst Jesse prefers a balsamic vinegar based dressing. You can omit this completely if you prefer or use whatever you feel like.
- Alternative ingredients: If you don't like beets, feel free to switch this out and add whatever you prefer. We've added roasted pumpkin, corn kernels, avocado, switched the green beans for asparagus - the options are endless. You can also add in some grilled chicken breast pieces if you want to add some protein.
And there you have it, a super simple recipe that's become a weekly staple in our house because it's so so good!
But tell me, what's your favourite meat free meal?
Are you a carnivore or not too fussed by it like me?
And what's one dinner that always seems to appear at your dinner table?
We have quite a few favourites. We always have tacos or some kind of Mexican dish on Tuesdays and we almost always have this recipe and some type of stir fry each week as well.