Zucchini Slice is one of those quick and easy meal options that is loved by so many. It's healthy and delicious and seriously easy to make - but even easier if you have a food processor or a Cuisine Companion (or a Thermomix!).
Whilst I've been making Zucchini Slice for years, I've found that I make it even more now that my Cuisine Companion means it takes just 30 seconds to chop all of the ingredients.
It's the perfect recipe for a quick meal on the go. I usually make up a big batch on Sunday for quick lunches whilst I'm working during the week. Best of all? You can use up just about whatever you have in the fridge.
If I don't have ham I'll use bacon or cooked chopped chicken or leave it out altogether. If I don't have enough zucchini I'll use grated carrot or sweet potato instead and I've been known to mix in corn, peas and whatever else I have that needs using up!
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Easy Healthy Zucchini Slice Recipe
makes 4-6 large pieces
low fat, gluten free, clean eating friendly, high protein
3-4 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 1/2 cups or 400g)
1 small white or brown onion
~1/2 cup ham, roughly chopped (you can also use bacon or chopped chicken)
6 eggs (*see notes for a lighter option)
1 cup (100g) grated cheese of your choice**
1 1/2 cups (180g) gluten free self raising flour
1 tsp garlic salt
Fresh basil and parsley, finely chopped (optional but recommended!)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F
- Line a 9x13" baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
- If using a Cuisine Companion/food processor, process your zucchini and onion until finely chopped (in the Cuisine Companion I use the kneading and crushing blade on S11 for 20-30 seconds). If not, grate your onion and zucchini instead.
- Add your ham, eggs, cheese, flour, salt and herbs (if using) to your vegetable mix and mix until just combined (about 30 seconds on S8 in the Cuisine Companion or just pulse it in your food processor)
- Pour your mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes to an hour, or until cooked through. Cooking times will vary so keep an eye on it and take it out as soon as a skewer inserted into the middle removes clean!
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving or storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze pieces in airtight ziplock bags for a quick and easy option when you need them. Simply defrost them in the fridge overnight, in the microwave or heat them up in the oven.
*If you want to lighten up the recipe, use 3 eggs and 6 egg whites (3/4 cup or 90g)
**You can use tasty cheese, cheddar, parmesan or just about whatever cheese you like! I often use 1/2 cup tasty cheese and 1/2 cup crumbled feta for something different!
But tell me, what are some of your favourite quick and easy lunch or dinner options?