I've got to tell you something... I've got a thing for cream cheese. No really, cream cheese is probably way up at the top of my list of favourite ingredients.
If I'm not trying to put cream cheese in or on a food, I'm putting peanut butter or chocolate (my other favourite ingredients) instead - or I'm using all of them in one (see my healthy peanut butter chocolate fudge recipe for proof of that).
But it's okay.... you see, that thing is the reason this delicious recipe came about.
You see, the first time I made these it was because of pure indecisiveness.
I wanted something with cream cheese but I didn't have the energy to make a cheesecake, I didn't feel like something with frosting and for once in my life I didn't want something with chocolate. I wanted a dessert that was quick, easy and delicious - and a recipe that only used one bowl.
So I got to experimenting...
What I created was an insanely delicious dessert that was devoured in just a few moments and one that I've been making over and over again ever since. Like all of our dessert recipes, this is a healthy dessert recipe that doesn't taste like it at all.
We all agreed that it was delicious and blog worthy, however, what we couldn't agree on was the name. I call these Cheesecake Blondies, however, Mum thinks they should be called Cheesecake Bars. Jesse? Well he only cares that you call his name to eat them ;)
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
One Bowl Gluten Free Strawberry Cheesecake Blondies Recipe
low fat, gluten free, refined sugar free option, dairy free option
makes 9 large squares or 16 smaller squares
For the blondie base:
3 1/2 tbsp (50g) butter, melted*
1/4 cup (60g) unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup (50g) coconut sugar (use up to 1/2 cup if you prefer your baked goods sweeter) or brown sugar
1 cup (120g) gluten free plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
For the cheesecake topping:
1/2 cup (120g) reduced fat cream cheese (you can use dairy free cream cheese)
~3 tbsp strawberry jam/jelly/conserve (we used no-sugar-added strawberry jam but you can use any flavour/type)
2 tbsp(15g) coconut sugar or icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F
- Line an 8x8" square tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Melt your butter and mix with your applesauce, egg and sugar.
- Mix in your flour and baking soda, mixing until just combined.
- Pour your blondie batter into your tin, spreading out to ensure an even layer.
- In your empty mixing bowl, mix your cream cheese and sugar until smooth and combined.
- Spread your cream cheese layer over the top of your blondie layer, smoothing out to ensure the whole base is covered.
- Dollop your strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese layer and then swirl your jam with a knife to create a swirled pattern with the cream cheese.
- Bake for around 20-30 minutes or until set.
- Remove your blondies from the oven and allow them to cool in the tin before slicing and/or chilling in the fridge.
- Your blondies will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Note: *For a dairy free option, use dairy free cream cheese and switch the butter for either a non-dairy butter alternative (like nuttelex) or the same amount of coconut oil or rice bran oil.
But tell me, do you have a favourite food/ingredient that you can't get enough of?
Chocolate, peanut butter and cream cheese are my faves for sure! ;)