Southern In Law - Australian Lifestyle Blog About Kristy and Jesse - Australian Lifestyle Blog Long Distance Relationship Advice Success Story Healthy Gluten Free Recipe Blog Gluten Free Coeliac Travel Reviews and Recommendations
The Ultimate Board Game Guide  What Should I Read Next The Bookshelf Ultimate Book Recommendation Guide
Want to follow our adventures? Find us on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest!

Reading on your phone or tablet?
This blog is best viewed on the web version. Simply scroll down
and hit "View Web Version" at the bottom of the page - or click for our web home page

Thursday, July 19, 2012

A day in the life of a Nanny

This week has been crazy busy for me - and it's not even finished yet! I've definitely been one busy bee!

I've had my first full week of nannying with my new family (plus extra days), freelance writing jobs, photography work, blogging things and I've also been writing for my hubpages apprenticeship as well!
I also managed to bake something this week, though it wasn't too successful so you won't be seeing that recipe! 

I have a few recipes that I want to share with you, but I just haven't had a chance to write them up!  Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to! :) 

Tonight my Mum and I are going out to see Motherhood the Musical as I won tickets in a competition, so that will be a good reward for our busy weeks! Tomorrow I have doctors appointments and a whole list of to-do's so hopefully I can get all of that done! 

Someone emailed me asking about how my usual nannying days went, as they were considering it themselves, so I thought I'd do a quick run through. My schedule is a little different as the girls both go to school, however I also do full days (which are always my preferred days).

5:30 AM  This is when my alarm goes off. Since it's winter, this is when I start to dread getting out of bed because I know the second I peel back the covers, the cozy warmth will be gone and I'll have to face the cold.
After crying to myself for a few minutes (and doing the whole yep! I'm getting up.... no... no... one more minute... thing), I pluck up the courage to run to the shower. 

By now I am showered and dressed and my makeup is done, unless of course I'm having a slow day or I lingered too long in the warmth of the shower. 
I can't be the only one that would happily live in a warm shower on winter days, could I? Hope I don't get too many creeps finding my blog from this statement! 
Banana Breakfast Bake6:15AM
Breakfast! Time to make something to eat or reheat a quick make ahead breakfast like my baked banana oatmeal.
Once I've gotten breakfast, I sit infront of my computer (I know, some people will cringe because they think that you shouldn't eat while doing something else - but I don't have time!) and answer emails, do as much as I possibly can before I have to leave. 
This is when I make my all important tea, in my lifesaver pink travel cup.
The house of the family I nanny for on these days is reaaaally cold, as is everywhere else at this time of year so hot tea is essentially. Generally its green tea or peppermint tea and as hot as my mouth can handle!

6:50AM I realise it's time to go and I make a face similar to this as I realise once again I will be walking 4 miles or 6.5 km in the freeeezing cold to get to the girls schools, home and back again.
This is also when I curse myself for not having my drivers license and really appreciate my other job as a freelance writer and photographer. 

Out the door! If only it was lovely and sunny like that picture, unfortunately it's usually gloomy and freezing cold and not so appealing!

7AM-10:00AMI get to the house and the girls are eating breakfast. Mum and Dad leave and we're off upstairs to get dressed then back downstairs to get teeth brushed, hair done, faces washed and shoes on. 

Then, as long as everything went to plan, we play for a little while before leaving for school - usually it's colouring in, drawing, UNO or Barbies and I do any washing and tidying up.
Once it's time, we leave for the walk to school in the cold, checking that everything is packed and we aren't forgetting anything. Once we get to school we wait until Miss G starts before Miss H and I leave to catch the bus to daycare. We wait at the bus stop before getting on the bus and waiting until we get to our stop - then we make a short walk to the daycare before I sign Miss H in and leave to catch the bus back home. 

Then it's back on the bus for me until I get to the closest spot to my home and make the 20 minute walk to my house as quick as possible so I can get back to my warm house.

I get home to my Chanel who is very jealous of me being with 3 cats all morning so I catch up on some snuggles for a while whilst replying to emails on my ipad. 

One of the first things I do when I get home is turn on the kettle and the air conditioning so I can defrost!

Then I either work on writing jobs, articles for HubPages, blog posts or edit photos for photography jobs/blog posts and grab something for lunch. 

3PM-5:30PM After a quick snack I am once again out the door. Hopefully by now the sun is out so while I'm waiting for G at school I can soak up some sunshine.
Once she's finished, we walk back to the house and she gets changed before it's snack time and we do her homework. Once homework is done, we play until Mum and Miss H get home. Usually this is painting/drawing/barbies/monopoly/UNO/whatever G feels like. 

6PM OnwardsBy now I'm home, quickly make some dinner and then once I'm finished eating, I head into the front room next to the fire with a hot cup of tea and my iPad. I reply to emails, work on whatever I can on my iPad and get to relax for the first time all day.
Before I know it I'm back in bed and getting ready to start my day all over. 

Tea party with cat

The above schedule is generally 2 days out of my week, other days are full days nannying or working on my freelance writing/photography jobs and doing other errands. Full days nannying are much more enjoyable than rushing back and forth - but you do what you've got to do!

On full days Miss H and I do fun things like have Kit-tea parties or just regular tea parties. 

Truth be known, it's taken me until now (5:18pm) to get this post written and I started writing it at 6am - but like I said, I've been very busy! I had to leave early and didn't finish until 3pm today so it was written and dribs and drabs as I had a chance!

So tell me, when you were a kid - what was your favourite game to play?
I was always a tea party girl but my favourite game was definitely mummies and daddies :P I was always the mummy. 


  1. Great post! Loved reading it :)

    As an only child I always managed to keep myself busy. I think I like drawing quite a bit though! x

    1. Glad you liked it, Shellie! Drawing is one of the best things to do for kids - I know if I have them sitting at the table drawing they're not getting into any mischief and I can get the washing up done or whatever else I might have to do.


There is nothing better than reading your comments on our posts! Let us know what you think of this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...