Do you ever have one of those days where you just need a donut?
I most certainly do...... in fact, I've been having one of those weeks. But when you're a coeliac with a million and one food intolerances you can't just go down to the local donut shop and pick one up - and really, I don't know that I would anyway as I like to know what I'm putting into my body!
On one of my "need a donut days" I decided to whip up a super quick batch of donuts between work projects. One problem though; I was super limited on ingredients.
But when this girl wants donuts, she's going to have them, so I improvised and accidentally created the easiest most awesome donuts ever. So awesome that they're healthy, gluten free, have no oil and no butter, are refined sugar free and use just four ingredients. Can you get anymore awesome than that?!
This recipe makes a simple batch of healthy but oh so delicious donuts, however, over the coming weeks I'll be showing you different ways to take this basic recipe and turn it into the greatest party in your mouth. I'm talking frostings, toppings, mix ins - you name it! It's like a gift that keeps on giving ;)
And because I know there's got to be other donut fans out there, I decided, because I love
donuts you all so much; I want to make your favourite donuts. So feel free to hit the contact button at the bottom of this post or leave a comment with your healthy donut requests!
But first, let me give you the recipe for these donuts! >>
Four Ingredients Healthy Almond Donut Recipe makes 8-10
low fat, gluten free, no oil, no butter, refined sugar free, grain free, low carb
1 cup (100g) almond meal/flour
2 large eggs (100g)
2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 tsp baking soda (updated 14/9/15 as some readers were having trouble with coarser almond meal/flour).
- Preheat your oven to 150C/300F
- Grease your donut pan and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of your ingredients until smooth.
- Fill your donut pans with your mixture, filling each donut cavity 1/2 way full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, keeping an eye on them and taking them out as soon as your donuts are cooked and a skewer inserted into the middle removes clean. Be sure not to overcook them as they'll dry out!
- Allow to cool before removing from the tins and eating as is or topping with whatever your heart desired (stay tuned for more recipes!)
- These donuts will keep in the fridge or at room temperature for 3-4 days stored in an airtight container. If you live in a really humid climate I'd suggest keeping them in the fridge so that they last longer, however, they will keep fine at room temperature if it's not too hot!
**If you like things sweeter, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup honey. These donuts are lightly sweetened so you can top them with whatever your heart desires!
But tell me, what's your favourite kind of donut?
And what's one thing that's always guaranteed to make a bad/hectic/crazy day better?
For me it's spending time with my husband, family or friends - especially if said time involves comfy pjs, warm blankets, tea and a good movie or tv show!