From Monday to Friday, my week is incredibly busy. If I'm not at the computer writing articles or website content for my clients, I'm rushing from meeting to meeting in the city, volunteering at Mainly Music or shooting and testing recipes for the blog or my clients and then I like to add babysitting into the mix too because I can't resist tiny humans :P
By the time lunchtime rolls around my leisurely breakfast and morning workout is a distant thought and I'm neck deep in emails and ten thousand and thirty three internet tabs as I get stuck into my to-do list for the day.
But whilst I am so busy, lunchtime is still important to me because this girl needs brain fuel.
Even though I work from home most of the time and have access to the kitchen, I still like to keep lunches as simple as possible. Whilst I do make sure I always take a lunch break, it's a pretty short one as I'm limited on time and it's really just a matter of putting food into my tummy.
Lunches for me have to be quick and filling without too much work or prep and that's why I love these egg bakes.
These egg bakes really are a complete meal. On the bottom you'll find a delicious potato layer made with tater tots/potato gems (bet you didn't think you'd see that on a healthy living blog!) and on top is a creamy, flavourful frittata/quiche topping filled with ham, cheese and whatever other fillings take your fancy.
They work for breakfast, lunch, dinner or whenever you fancy - and feel free to make the recipe your own by switching the ham and cheese for fillings of your choice!
But let me share the recipe with you! >>
Healthy Potato Crusted Egg Bakes Recipe
low fat, gluten free, clean eating friendly, high protein
serves 1, easily multiplied
For the base:
4-6 tater tots/potato gems (make sure they're gluten free if needed. We use ones that are made with just potatoes, oil, corn starch and salt)
For the egg bake filling:
2 egg whites (1/4 cup or 60g or another whole egg)
2 tbsp (30g) plain greek yogurt
~1/4 cup grated cheese
~1/4 cup sliced ham
Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven 200C/390F.
- Line a ramekin or single serve baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
- Place your tater tots/potato gems into the base of your dish and bake for ~10 minutes or until golden.
- Carefully squish and flatten your potato gems with a spoon to form the "crust".
- Mix your filling ingredients in a bowl and pour over the top of your crust, baking your egg bakes for 10-20 minutes or until set and golden. Baking times will vary depending on the size of your tin so keep an eye on them!
- Remove your egg bake from the tin and enjoy immediately or allow to cool before chilling and keeping in the fridge for 2-3 days.
But tell me, what do you usually eat for lunch?