Lately I've been obsessed with all things nutty. Nut butter, nut bars, nutty sauces, nuts on their own - you name it, I've been eating it. But one nut has definitely stood out as a clear favourite; macadamia nuts!
Macadamia nuts have been a long standing favourite of mine - ever since we used to take holidays to Queensland when I was younger. You see, we had friends living in Queensland who we'd visit once or twice a year and every time we were up there, we'd head to the Burleigh Markets to buy a big ol' bag of macadamia nuts.
We'd never really eat the nuts - it was more about the fun of cracking them open, however, one year entrepreneurial spirit took over and we decided that all our hard work cracking had to amount to something.. so we sold them!
Yup, we cracked the nuts open, packaged them up in little zip lock bags and added salt to some (value adding, people!) and left the others plain - and then we went knocking door to door, selling our macadamias to the neighbours.
Oddly enough, the neighbours were quick to snatch up bag after bag of our freshly cracked nuts - even forking out an extra dollar for the salted ones.
These Macadamia White Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites I'm sure would be an even bigger hit, but I don't know how well received I'd be if I turned up on my neighbours' doorsteps as an adult ;P
These no bake bites were inspired by one of my favourite cookie combinations (Macadamia and White Chocolate Chip Cookies!) but made to suit just about every kind of diet! Not only are they gluten free, they're also dairy free, vegan, refined sugar free, peanut free and even have grain free options!
We've been keeping a big ol' container of them in the fridge for those moments when you need something sweet and delicious!
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Healthy White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough Raw Bites
makes about 2 dozen small bites or 1 dozen larger bites
low fat, gluten free, refined sugar free, grain free option, vegan,
dairy free, peanut free, egg free and absolutely delicious!
2 cups (180g) gluten free oats *see notes for grain free/oat free option
3 tbsp (60g) almond butter or cashew butter
3 tbsp maple syrup**
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (~50g) macadamia nuts
~1/4 cup (30g) white chocolate chips
- In a food processor, process your oats until they're ground to a flour-like consistency.
- Add your coconut and pulse until your mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla and process until everything is combined. if needed, add a couple of drops of water whilst pulsing - just as much is needed for the mix to clump together.
- Once your mix is more dough-like, add in your macadamia nuts and chocolate chips and pulse just to chop them slightly and disperse them throughout the mix.
- Roll your cookie dough bites to your desired size with your hands and place them onto a plate or into a container, repeating until all of your mix is used up.
- Enjoy immediately or chill in the fridge.
- These bites will keep for a week or two in an airtight container. We keep them in the fridge as we prefer the texture when they're cold, however, you can choose whatever you prefer!
- If you want to keep them for longer, store them in the freezer in an airtight ziplock bag and simply take however many out you want to eat!
- *Find out more about oats on a gluten free diet. If you can't eat oats or want a grain free option, substitute the oats with 1 cup extra coconut PLUS 1 cup almonds, macadamias or cashews. You can also use quinoa flakes, however, these have quite a strong flavour.
- **If you like things sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of maple syrup.
Tell me, did you have an entrepreneurial spirit when you were a child? Any roadside stands or cunning business ideas?
And do you have any food obsessions right now? What are you loving?