Homemade crackers. There one of those things that a few years ago, I would have told you they'd take WAY too much time and WAY too much effort - but now?
Now I'm addicted to making them.
These crackers are stupidly simple to make. All you've got to do is throw all of your ingredients in a bowl, add some water, mix it all up and spread it out onto a tray. Throw them in the oven and before you know it, you'll have a whole batch of crackers ready to devour.
And I promise you, homemade crackers taste a trillion times better than storebought ones.
In fact, these crackers should probably come with a warning - because they WILL disappear before your eyes.
You'll think you can stop at just a few - but the salty crunchy goodness will have you coming back for more. 😜
If you do want to share them, however, you're in luck! These crackers are gluten free, grain free, egg free and dairy free - meaning they're perfect for sharing!
So let me share the recipe with you! >>
Easy Homemade Paleo Vegan Crackers
gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, grain free, paleo, egg free,
dairy free, healthy, FODMAP friendly, clean eating recipe
makes 1 small batch (easily multiplied) of about 3 cups of crackers
1/2 cup (50g) almond meal (or ground sunflower seeds for nut free)
1/2 cup (45g) ground flaxseed
2 tbsp (15g) coconut flour
1 tbsp (5g) psyllium husk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine your almond meal, flaxseed, coconut flour, psyllium and salt.
- Add your water and stir until combined.
- Place your mixture onto your prepared baking tray and flatten either with your fingertips or with a rolling pin (putting a sheet of baking paper down first will stop it from sticking).
- Roll your cracker dough out as thinly as possible, ensuring there aren't any big cracks by squishing the dough back together.
- Slice your dough into pieces with a sharp knife (leave them together - you'll break them apart later).
- Bake your crackers for 20-40 minutes or until crunchy and lightly golden. I usually flip mine at around 15 minutes by placing another sheet of baking paper on top and using a plate or chopping board to flip them over.
- Keep an eye on your crackers and take them out as soon as they're crunchy!
- Allow your crackers to cool before breaking them into pieces and serving!
- These crackers will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, however, they're best eaten fresh as they will soften up!
Feel free to add whatever seasonings you like! I have been loving turning these into an Italian inspired treat by adding lots of dried herbs and a bit of nutritional yeast!
But tell me, what's one food/recipe you thought was way too hard to make at first - but now love?!
And what's your favourite savoury snack?